This Dutch baby-inspired skillet cake is perfect for breakfast. It is made from buckwheat and low in sugar, but wonderfully moist and delicate. It has a fluffy texture and nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with the lemon thyme-sautéed apricots.
Skillet Buckwheat Breakfast Cake With Apricots and Poppy Seeds [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of birch sugar (xylitol)
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup rice or almond milk
- 4 tablespoons almond or argan oil
- 10 apricots
- 1 tablespoon birch sugar
- 5 twigs of lemon thyme
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a bowl, combine the buckwheat flour with ground almonds, xylitol, baking powder, and salt. Add the lemon zest and juice, rice milk, and oil and beat for a while.
- Heat an 8-inch cast iron pan over the stove, add a tablespoon of oil to grease and pour in the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 355°F for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the cake comes out dry.
- While the cake is baking sauté the halved apricots with the birch sugar and lemon thyme in a skillet until caramelized.
- Arrange apricot carrots decoratively on the cake and sprinkle with poppy seeds.