If your feeling like a springtime treat – you're in the right place. This squash blossom toast is simple, elegant, and perfect for any occasion; from a picnic to a garden party. We usually see squash blossoms fried but this light recipe simply sautées them and then places them atop cashew cream cheese and a crusty piece of toast to let their subtle flavor shine through.
Simple Squash Blossom, Zucchini, and Cashew Cheese Toast [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Toast the bread on the skillet for about 2 minutes on each side, or until it's slightly crispy (or more depending on how toasty you like your toast).
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Add the zucchini with chopped herbs and sautée it until zucchini is tender 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini and set it aside.
- Next, add squash blossoms to the skillet and sautée it until wilted.
- Remove it from heat.
- Assemble the toast by spreading cashew cheese on the bottom, then layer it with zucchini, squash blossoms, and season it with salt and pepper.