Semifreddo is an Italian term for desserts that are served semi-frozen. This very pretty semifreddo vegan cake is nutritious, light and refreshing. It’s made with soaked cashews and topped up with blueberries, blackberries, and cassis, but you can add your favorite toppings. It tastes like a cross between an ice cream cake and a cheesecake. Simply delicious on a hot summer day!
Semifreddo Cream Cake With Berries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 2/3 cup gluten-free natural rolled oats
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup date paste, with 12 Medjool dates (blend dates with water)
- A pinch of salt
For the Cake:
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight in warm water or 2 hours in boiled water
- 4 tablespoons pure lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds (use a small coffee grinder or food processor to grind seeds)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
For the Topping:
- Fresh or frozen fruit of your choice
- A little lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
- Prepare one 9 or 10-inch round springform pan with parchment paper. Grease/flour sides.
- For the crust, put the rolled oats and pecans in a food processor and process until you obtain fine crumbs. Pour the date paste into a separate medium-size bowl and add the crumb mixture and salt. Mix until you obtain moist crumbs that hold well together.
- Press the crumb mixture evenly into bottom of pan with clean hands and bake in pre-heated oven for 8 minutes. Let the crust cool completely. When cool, you can store the pan with crust in refrigerator until ready to assemble cake.
- For the cake, when cashews have soaked, strain the water and rinse them through a sieve. Put all cake ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Pour in a small bowl, cover, and chill in refrigerator.
- For the topping, put the fruit, whole or chopped, in a big bowl. Squeeze a little lemon juice and mix this to the fruit. Allow the fruit to make its own fruit juice. If you can’t obtain any juice, mash 1-2 tablespoon of fruit in a small bowl and add to the fruit. To the fruit add the agar-agar powder and mix well. If your fruit is sour, sprinkle some granulated sugar. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- To assemble, spread the cashew cream mixture on top of the crust. With a slotted spoon, spread the chilled fruit evenly on top of the cream mixture. Cover with foil and store in freezer for minimum 8 hours or preferably overnight. Take out one hour, or more, before serving. It should be eaten semi-frozen. Store leftovers in covered container in freezer.