Yes, you can make restaurant quality dishes at home and this one is a good place to start: tender seitan simmered in a flavorful balsamic wine sauce can hold its own on any fancy menu. Definitely make this dish if you want to impress your friends, family, or your sweetheart with your cooking prowess.
Seitan in a Balsamic-Wine Reduction [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Seitan in a Balsamic-Wine Reduction [Vegan]
- 1 cup (1 8-ounce package) of seitan, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh thyme (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
How to Prepare Seitan in a Balsamic-Wine Reduction [Vegan]
- Cut the seitan chunks into smaller slices (about 1/4-inch thick).
- Place the red wine and balsamic vinegar in a medium-size sauté pan or saucepan and heat them slowly (I find a pan with about 7-inch diameter works best, you want the sauce to slightly cover the seitan, but also have enough room so that the seitan is not overlapping in the pan).
- Raise the temperature to medium, add the seitan and cover. The sauce should be bubbling steadily with the lid closed – you may need to raise the heat to medium-high.
- Cook the seitan about four minutes on each side, it should begin to brown lightly.
- At the end of the eight minutes, the balsamic-wine reduction will be almost completely reduced and cooked into the seitan. Add the herbs and mix while in the pot. Enjoy!
*Using good-quality vinegar can make such a difference when cooking, particularly in a recipe like this!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.