Oatmeal is an incredibly popular breakfast among athletes and health foodies, but even if you vary the toppings, it’s easy to get bored with the same sweet flavors every morning. But who said oatmeal has to be sweet? This savory recipe lends itself well to customization, so you can adapt it to suit your palate and vary it when you want something new.
Recipe from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life © Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine, 2017. Photographs copyright © Ken Carlson, Waterbury Publications Inc. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Savory Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1 cup (95 g) GF old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 carrot or small beet, peeled and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water
- 1 cup (15 g) stemmed and chopped kale or (30 g) chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup (60 g) salsa or marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted
- pumpkin seeds
- Smoked paprika and/or crushed red pepper, optional
- Salt and black pepper
- Combine the oats and carrot in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the water. (Use more or less to achieve the consistency you prefer; 1 1/2 cups/360 ml water yields a fairly thick oatmeal.)
- Heat until simmering, then cook, stirring often, until everything is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, salsa, and nutritional yeast.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the avocado and pumpkin seeds. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and crushed red pepper, if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Variation: Swap in different flavors of salsas or pasta sauces to turn this into a whole new dish.