This oatmeal is kind of like a mushroom risotto but you can have it for breakfast! It is creamy and full of rich mushroom flavors. Give it a go!
Savory Mushroom Steel Cut Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion or leek
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3-4 oz baby bella mushrooms (about six), chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth*
- 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1/4 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grated vegan parmesan (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat a little bit of oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion/leek and garlic and cook until onion is turning transluscent.
- Add chopped mushrooms. Stir occasionally until juice from the mushrooms evaporates. Add a pinch of salt.
- Add oats and broth (and wine, if using*). Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, add peas and cook until peas are tender and most of the broth has been absorbed by the oats.
- Once the oatmeal has reached a risotto-esque consistency (between 20-30 minutes), add vegan parmesan, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, remove from heat. Top with fresh herbs, more parmesan, and/or more pepper.
Alternatively, use 1 and 3/4 cup broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth.