This super simple savory oatmeal base can be enjoyed as is, or you could add other veggies.
Savory Corn and Chive Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoon diced onion
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored soy milk
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oatmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced chives, plus more for topping
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add soy milk, broth, and frozen corn.
- When the liquid returns to a boil, add oats, stir, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- When the oatmeal begins to thicken (3 or 4 minutes), add salt, black pepper, and chives.
- Once the oatmeal has reached the desired consistency, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Top with extra minced chives, along with any other desired toppings (sauteed greens, fresh arugula, sun dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, a drizzle of olive oil, etc).