This right here is the ultimate brunch. Savory blinis, fermented macadamia nut cheese, sunflower seed cream cheese, and vegan honey made from apples. Save this recipe for a special day or whenever you feel like treating yourself ... Which is a pretty special day, just saying.
Savory Blinis With Nut Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Fermented Cheese:
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds
- 1/4 probiotic vegan capsule
- 1/2 teaspoon shiro miso (white miso)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
- Coconut water
For the Cream Cheese:
- 1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 large bunch fresh chives
- Water, as needed
- Sea salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
For the Blinis:
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 2 3/4 tablespoons chestnut flour
- A pinch cream tartar
- A pinch baking soda
- A pinch sea salt
- A few drops apple cider vinegar
- Cold seltzer water, as needed
- Sunflower oil, as needed
For the Lemon Ginger "Honey":
- Lemon zest
- A pinch fresh ginger
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Brown sugar to taste
- Water, as needed
To Make the Fermented Cheese:
- Rinse the macadamia nuts, then soak in fresh water for at least 2 hours. Drain. Rinse the hemp seeds under fresh running water.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine macadamia, hemp seeds, paprika, and probiotic powder. Blend intermittently, then add coconut water until you have a smooth, velvety cream.
- Scoop the cream into a cheese cloth and wrap it up. Let ferment for 24 to 48 hours at room temperature.
- After that, add lemon juice, miso, and nutritional yeast flakes. Mix well and scoop into a mould. Place in dehydrator for 12 to 36 hours, then let sit for a day.
To Make the Cream Cheese:
- Rinse the seeds and cashew nuts, soak for at least 2 hours, then drain. Combine with all other ingredients in a blender, adding enough water to obtain a smooth cream and full-bodied. Sprinkle some sliced green onions at the bottom of the mould, then add the cheese. Place in dehydrator or refrigerator for a few hours.
To Make the Blinis:
- Sift the chestnut flour with baking soda and cream of tartar and then put in a blender with the apple cider vinegar, salt, and seltzer to obtain a smooth batter. Let rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat a good non-stick pan and grease it with vegetable oil. Using a ladle, scoop up some batter and pour it onto the center of the pan. Spread it out, using the ladle, to a disc about 2 3/4 inches in diameter. Cook until the blini is easily lifted from the pan, flip, and cook on the other side. Repeat until all batter has been used.
To Make the Lemon Ginger "Honey":
- In a thick-bottomed skillet, add the apple, brown sugar, lemon juice and zest, and ginger. Cover with water and cook on low heat until the brown sugar has melted and the apples soften. Continue to cook, stirring the mixture every so often, and crush the apples with a wooden spoon. Eventually, it should be the color of honey. Taste and add more of each ingredient as desired.
- Transfer to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Return to the skillet and cook for a few minutes before transferring to a glass jar. Serve with blinis and cheese.