This is a very unassuming recipe, but the final dish is something more than its parts, full of bold flavor and very satisfying. Serve over rice or quinoa, or in wraps with avocado (I feel it's worth mentioning that avocado goes with just about anything).
Saucy BBQ Chickpeas and Green Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 ½ cups green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup natural ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 medium cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chipotle hot sauce (optional; see note)
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup minced shallot or onion
- 2 ½ cups chickpeas (see note)
- First, blanch the green beans. Bring 2–3 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the beans, let cook for just a minute or two until vibrant green, then strain and run under cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a bowl, whisk together the ketchup, tahini, Dijon mustard, garlic, vinegar, tamari, Worcestershire sauce, and chipotle hot sauce, and then whisk in the water. Once well incorporated, stir in the shallots.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (I use an 8” x 11” dish, but a similar size will work). Add the chickpeas and stir through. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Add the green beans, stir through, re-cover, and bake for another 4–5 minutes (not much longer, or the beans will turn a gray color). Remove and serve.
Hot Sauce Note: Chipotle hot sauce adds more smoky heat than spicy heat, but if you think the kiddos will be sensitive to it, feel free to omit. Beans Note: If you are a little short on green beans, you can sub extra chickpeas—for example, you can use 1 cup of green beans and 3 cups of chickpeas. Or, if you prefer more green beans, you can do that too, and use less chickpeas! It’s a flexible recipe. Serving Suggestions: Serve over a cooked grain like basmati brown rice, quinoa, or millet. A little chopped avocado on top is especially delicious!
- String Bean