I have never eaten strawberries with whipped cream for Christmas, but I used to have them as a child during their season and I loved them. However, I think it is a great idea for a Christmas dessert and it's probably much healthier than other dessert options. The problem is that the whipped cream available today is not like the whipped cream our mums and grandmas made when we were little…now it is a very processed food, lacking in nutrients and full of fat and sugar. Also, I don't consume dairy anymore, so I decided to make this recipe healthier and also suitable for lactose intolerant and vegans, like me. :)
Santa Claus Strawberries [Vegan]
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 2 tablespoons water, plus more if necessary
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- A pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients for the lemon cream together until smooth. Let it cool in the refrigerator for about two hours.
- Rinse strawberries and slice the leafy end off each strawberry so they stand up evenly. Then the tip-off to make a little hat.
- Place the lemon cream in a dipping bag and add a small amount of the mixture to the top of the strawberry to make the face and place the tops you cut off back on.
- Pipe a couple of dots onto the body strawberry for buttons and another dot of cream on top of the hat to make a pom-pom.
- Finally, place two black sesame seeds on the "face" for the eyes.
- Serve immediately or if you don't eat them right away, store them in the refrigerator to keep them cold.