This warm, crunchy cabbage and carrot salad is traditionally served as a side dish in Gutharathi cuisine. It pairs beautifully with bhakri, a more dense version of roti that is spiced with black pepper. However, it can also be served, hot or cold, with any Indian dinner.
Sambharo: Indian Spiced Carrot and Cabbage Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 carrots
- 5 ounces white/green cabbage
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt or sea salt
- A pinch of ground turmeric
- 1 green chili, sliced lengthways
- A squeeze of lime
- Grate the carrots and chop the cabbage and green pepper into long, thin slices (rather than pieces), like you would when making coleslaw.
- Warm the coconut oil in a saucepan on a low heat, then add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds have popped, add the carrots, cabbage, green pepper (capsicum), salt, turmeric, and green chili and mix thoroughly.
- Leave to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Add just one squeeze of lime right at the end then place in a serving bowl. Can be served hot or cold.