Big Wheels are essentially a big,cookie ice cream sandwich and they were delicious, full of processed ingredients, and definitely not vegan. Since the weather’s been so nice, I decided to make my own vegan version that ended up being a big hit in our house.
Salted Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Salted Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used a little extra for high-altitude baking)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unbleached, vegan sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 bar dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 pint of your favorite vegan ice cream
How to Prepare Salted Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan]
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350ºF and mixing the sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and water. Mix until a doughy consistency forms. Fold in the chopped dark chocolate until well-combined.
- Place the rounded dough onto a greased or lined cookie sheet, forming 6 uniform larger pieces of dough. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies are fully cooked and lightly browned. Be careful not to overcook.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Let the ice cream thaw slightly before assembling the cookies. Remove the top lid of the ice cream pint, then using a serrated knife slice about 1/2 an inch off the top to make the sandwich filling. To assemble, sandwich the ice cream (removing the carton around the section) between the two cookies and smush lightly.
- To store, wrap each sandwich, put in an airtight container or store in a sealable bag. Allow to thaw slightly if serving them straight from the freezer. Split with someone, or enjoy all for yourself!
I like to store these by wrapping each assembled sandwich and placing in an airtight container in the freezer.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.