Big Wheels are essentially a big,cookie ice cream sandwich and they were delicious, full of processed ingredients, and definitely not vegan. Since the weather’s been so nice, I decided to make my own vegan version that ended up being a big hit in our house.
Salted Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used a little extra for high-altitude baking)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unbleached, vegan sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 bar dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 pint of your favorite vegan ice cream
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350ºF and mixing the sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and water. Mix until a doughy consistency forms. Fold in the chopped dark chocolate until well-combined.
- Place the rounded dough onto a greased or lined cookie sheet, forming 6 uniform larger pieces of dough. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies are fully cooked and lightly browned. Be careful not to overcook.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Let the ice cream thaw slightly before assembling the cookies. Remove the top lid of the ice cream pint, then using a serrated knife slice about 1/2 an inch off the top to make the sandwich filling. To assemble, sandwich the ice cream (removing the carton around the section) between the two cookies and smush lightly.
- To store, wrap each sandwich, put in an airtight container or store in a sealable bag. Allow to thaw slightly if serving them straight from the freezer. Split with someone, or enjoy all for yourself!
I like to store these by wrapping each assembled sandwich and placing in an airtight container in the freezer.