A crunchy, gooey, salty, sweet bar with a buttery crust. Awesome to bring to your next holiday party, or just as a treat to yourself. You earned it.
Salted Coconut Pecan Bars [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 3 cups whole pecans toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place pecans on a baking sheet and roast for 8-10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Set aside.
- Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of an 11x7 inch rimmed baking pan allowing for 3-4 inches of overhang on each side.
- Spray the bottom and sides of the pan with vegetable spray and lay the parchment in the pan, to create a sling.
- Spray the parchment paper with vegetable spray and set aside.
To Make the Crust:
- In a small bowl, combine the flour sugar and salt and whisk.
- Stir in the melted butter until it becomes hard to stir, then use your clean hands to finish combining the ingredients.
- With your fingertips, press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
To Make the Filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, vanilla and salt and mix together with a spatula.
- Add the coconut and pecans and stir to combine.
- Pour the pecan mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and coconut is well toasted. Sprinkle evenly with remaining sea salt.
- Let the bars cool to room temperature, then carefully lift the bars from the pan and transfer to a cutting board.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice into 15 bars.
- Transfer to a platter to serve or stack in an airtight container, layering a piece of parchment paper between the bars to prevent sticking.