Hope you enjoy these chewy and delicious salted chocolate caramels as much as we did! Just be warned that they’re quite addictive! They taste better because they’re made with love, using pure wholesome ingredients, without any additives, oils, or refined sugar. They consist of only 8 ingredients, are no-bake, dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan of course!
Salted Chocolate Caramels [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free]
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or another nut/seed butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cacao butter, finely chopped (see notes)
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
- For the Caramel Center: Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Line a medium container (this recipe used a 5×5-inch dish) with parchment paper and press the sticky mixture inside, smoothing it out with the back of a spoon or spatula. Cover and freeze for about 4 hours until firm.
- For the Chocolate Coating: Start making the chocolate coating 15 minutes before the caramel slices are set. Add 2 inches of water to a small pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Pour the finely chopped cacao butter in a medium Pyrex or ceramic mixing bowl and place it on top of the pot to create a double boiler (make sure the bowl is not touching the water). Let the bowl sit for 2-3 minutes until the cacao butter is melted.
- Add the cacao powder and maple syrup and stir to combine. Carefully remove the bowl using oven mitts and set it aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Assemble: Cut the caramel into small squares, dip them into the melted chocolate, and place on a parchment paper. Quickly sprinkle with sea salt before the chocolate sets within seconds! Enjoy them right away or store in the fridge for best results
You can substitute coconut oil for cacao butter. If so, just melt it in a small pot over low heat (if not liquid already) and proceed to step 4. Alternatively, you can melt a dark chocolate bark or dark chocolate chips instead of making your own. Just make sure to read the ingredients list and choose a high-quality product that’s free from soy, refined sugar, and additives.