These salted caramel apple galettes are warm, gooey, delicious, and loaded with apples. What more can you really ask for? This dessert is arguably better than traditional caramel apples because it's less messy. You can add as much caramel as you desire, it's homemade, and you can share it with loved ones.
Salted Caramel Apple Galette [Vegan]
For Salted Caramel:
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, chilled, and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons water, chilled
- 1 pound baking apples (about 2 large apples), scrubbed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, plus more for sprinkling on galette
- Salted caramel
- Olive oil, for brushing
To Make The Caramel:
- Pour sugar and water in a medium heavy-bottomed, deep saucepan and stir together with a wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Stop stirring as soon as the sugar starts boiling. You can use the pan to swirl the sugar around until all the sugar has dissolved.
- The liquid sugar shouldn't be too dark in color, add the butter immediately and whisk until butter has melted.
- Take the mixture off the heat and slowly and carefully pour in the coconut milk and salt, and whisk until the sauce is smooth
- If you prefer a thicker caramel, return to stove and let it simmer a little longer, stir and watch it to make sure it doesn’t burn!
- The caramel will also thicken over a few days in the fridge.
To Make the Dough:
- In a food processor, combine flour, coconut oil, salt, sugar, and spices in a food processor.
- Pulse until well incorporated.
- Add apple cider vinegar.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.
- Alternatively, mix ingredients by hand, adding water once the dough has a crumbly texture.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or up to long 24 hours.
To Make the Galette:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine apples slices, lemon juice, zest, and vanilla in a bowl and toss gently to mix.
- Roll chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 14x10-inch rough rectangle, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Transfer dough into the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange apple slices on top of dough in an overlapping pattern.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and spread several tablespoons (as much or as little you want) of caramel over the apples.
- Fold dough over apples, tucking and overlapping as needed to keep the rectangular shape.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crust is golden brown and the apples are soft and juicy.
- Let cool slightly on baking sheet before slicing.