This vegan egg yolk is plopped inside of pan-seared delicate slices of tofu that mimic egg whites. There are lots of ways to enjoy this vegan egg yolk. You can make a simple vegan fried egg sandwich on toast or vegan Eggs Benedict. You can also use it as a simple morning dipping sauce with vegan buttered toast.
Runny Fried ‘Egg’ [Vegan]
- 1 block of firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and wrapped in a dish towel to absorb excess water
- 1 tablespoon of vegan butter
- salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- 1 cup of water
- 4 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of Kala Namak Himalayan Black Salt (optional)
Vegan egg yolk:
- Whisk all the ingredients together over medium high heat. Continue to whisk while it cooks for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegan yolk sauce thickens.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Transfer the tofu to a work surface, turn the block on its side and slice lengthwise to create 4 even slabs. Cut each slab into a round using a 3-inch ring mold or cookie cutter. Save the remnants for another recipe.
- Heat the vegan butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add the tofu slices and pan-sear until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a serving place and cut a small circle in the middle with a shot glass or knife. Pour in the vegan yolk sauce into the hole. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Kala Namak is a Himalayan black salt that has a sulphuric egg flavor.