If you’re looking for a low-carb, gluten-free, vegan flatbread recipe…this is for you! Not quite like traditional flatbread, but equally yummy in its own right. Crisp on the outside, doughy in the middle and completely kid-friendly. Almost a whole head of cauliflower is used as the base of this recipe, making it a great way to sneak in veggies!.
Rosemary Cauliflower Flatbread [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 head of cauliflower (3 cups of cauliflower “rice”)
- 3/4 cups flour of your choice (gluten-free or grain-free if necessary), see notes
- 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons flax seed meal mixed with 9 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary or herb of your choice such as dried basil, oregano or thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together flax seed meal and water in a small bowl, set aside.
- Make “cauliflower rice” by adding cauliflower florets to a food processor and pulsing until rice-like. Depending on the size of your food processor you may need to do this step in small batches.
- In a large bowl, mix together 3 packed cups of cauliflower rice, flax “eggs,” flour, salt, olive oil, and rosemary.
- Place dough on parchment paper and use hands to flatten to 1/2-inch thick.
- Place in oven and cook for 40-45 minutes or until golden and crispy. Cooking time will vary depending on thickness of flatbread, keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from oven, add toppings of your choice and enjoy. If adding toppings that should be served warm, return to oven for 5-7 minutes or until warmed through.
If using coconut flour, add more flax eggs and/or olive oil because coconut flour absorbs a ton of liquid.