This fragrant, sweet, and rose-infused syrup is silky and luxurious. It's perfect for adding to cold or warm drinks, desserts, or as a topping for your breakfast pancakes or oatmeal bowl.
Rose Petals & Cardamom Syrup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups fresh organic red rose petals (or 2 cups dry top-grade rose buds and petals)
- 4 cups rose water (or filtered water)
- 2 cups turbinado sugar (or demerara, or other unrefined)
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Gently clean the rose petals, rinsing in a big bowl first (leave to soak for 5 minutes), then under fresh water. (If using dry rose petals – skip step #1.)
- In a medium pot, add the rose water (or filtered water) and fresh rose petals or dry rose petals, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the petals become transparent.
- Crush the cardamom pods with a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Drain the rose water using a nut milk bag or a fine strainer. Squeeze all the juice out as much as possible.
- Add the rosy-coloured water back to the pot and add the sugar and cardamom. Bring to a boil, add the lemon juice, then simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes or until the liquid gets a thicker syrupy consistency.
- Once ready, set aside to cool down, strain again to remove the cardamom pods/ pieces, and store in a glass bottle (500 ml).
- Refrigerate and use within two months. For longer keeping, sterilize the glass bottle first and use it within six months (refrigeration recommended).
- Rose Water