Today’s recipe is one that must grace your table at some point, preferably sooner rather than later. It’s my take on Potato au Gratin, only using root veggies and a cashew-based sauce. Try it – you won’t be sorry. Celery Root never tasted so good.
Root Veggie au Gratin [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Root Veggie au Gratin [Vegan]
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and cut in half
- 1 average size parsnip, cut in half (so that it’s not as long)
- 1 medium-large rutabaga, not peeled and left whole
- 1 medium-large turnip, not peeled and left whole
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 10 minutes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- A pinch of salt and some fresh cracked black pepper
How to Prepare Root Veggie au Gratin [Vegan]
- Place the celeriac, parsnip, rutabaga, and turnip into a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring water to a boil and let them cook for 30 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables from the water and let the vegetables cool enough so you can handle them without burning yourself.
- Slice the vegetables into thin rounds and place them into a large bowl.
- When all the vegetables are sliced, preheat your oven to 350° F and very lightly oil an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Layer the root vegetables in the dish until the vegetables come up to the top of the dish. You can layer them however you want (i.e., a layer of just turnip and then a layer of just celeriac, or layer them randomly). Set aside for now while you make the sauce.
- Strain the water from the cashews and place the cashews in your blender along with 2 cups of veggie broth, 2 tablespoons of rice flour, and a pinch or two of salt (more or less depending on the saltiness of the broth you use).
- Blend for about a minute until the ingredients are completely blended, and there are no more cashew pieces.
- Pour this mixture over the root vegetables, top with cracked black pepper, and bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.