This meal features wonderfully meaty roasted mushrooms and is teamed with a vegan, creamy pine nut pesto sauce! The sauce is then layered over pasta to create this delicious dish!
Roasted Wild Mushrooms with Chili Oil and Vegan Pesto Cream Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms*:Shiitake, King Trumpet, Maitake and Golden Oyster Mushrooms
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (soaked in filtered water)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons filtered water
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces pasta (or gluten free pasta)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- Soak the pine nuts to make the cream sauce – add them into a bowl with hot water to cover by 2 inches. Set aside to soften at least 45 minutes (up to 4 hours.)
To Make the Mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim the wild and cremini mushrooms and cut away any ends and long stems.
- Cut them into similar sizes. Feel free to leave Shiitakes whole and dice the King Trumpets, Maitake & Golden Oysters and the Cremini Mushrooms.
- Using a damp paper towel, wipe of any dirt.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lay out the mushrooms so they are not touching and brush with 2 tablespoons of Chili Oil, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt taste.
- Roast until the mushrooms are nicely browned and crispy around the edges – approximately 15 minutes (this depends on the size of the mushrooms.) You will notice they will shrink some. Set aside.
To Make the Pine Nut Pesto Vegan Cream Sauce:
- Drain soaked pine nuts and add them into a blender with 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, 6 tablespoons of filtered water and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Blend from low to high speed, and whirl for 1 minute until smooth; scrape down and whirl for another minute until very smooth.
- Add the nutritional yeast, pesto and olive oil – whirl until smooth.
- Scrape into a bowl to hold. Set aside.
To Assemble the Dish:
- Cook the pasta and drain – reserving 2 tablespoons of pasta water.
- Add pasta to a skillet with the water and Pine Nut Pesto Sauce.
- Heat over low heat to warm through.
- Add mushrooms and toss altogether.
- Alternately, you can heat the mushrooms until warmed through and place on top of the pasta and sauce.
- Garnish liberally with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve in a large bowl, or individual bowls.