This recipe is incredibly easy to make and is a wonderful meal-prep dish for your week. Let’s get started…
Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup [Vegan]
- 5-6 lbs of tomatoes, (heirlooms and regular beefsteak type of tomatoes work well), washed and quartered
- 1 head of garlic, top cut off for roasting (see below)
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 bell pepper, (orange or red) washed and sliced
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Fresh basil (one good handful)
- 2 stems of fresh fresh thyme leaves – stem removed
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk or cream
- First, preheat your oven to 400ºF. Slice the top of your garlic off to expose the cloves.
- Cut a slice of foil and place your garlic head in the center. Drizzle the opening (top) with a 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Wrap your garlic bulb loosely. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Remove the foil. To extract the garlic cloves – simply squeeze the bulb from the bottom and the squeeze the cloves out. They will be a soft texture.
- Change the oven temp to 350ºF. Place your tomatoes, onions and bell pepper on your baking sheet. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the tomatoes (2-3 tablespoons). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour or until softened and aromatic.
- Remove and allow to cool a bit so you can handle safely. Then add your tomatoes/juice and onions and peppers to your stock pot or Dutch oven. Add your basil, coconut cream (entire can) and fresh basil.
- Bring your ingredients to a simmer over low/medium heat. Then using your blender or hand immersion blender, blend until creamy.
- If using a blender, work in small batches for safety. Then add your soup back to the pot. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy! You can easily freeze this soup or refrigerate for 5 days.