The perfect warm and filling autumn salad that will be the perfect side or entree - it’s flavorful and healthful, and sure to impress any holiday guests!
Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Kale Salad [Vegan]
- 1 large heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 – 2 tablespoons warm water, optional to thin out dressing
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes - about 3 – 4 medium sized potatoes, (peeled, if preferred and) cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 large purple onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 tablespoon curry or Colombo powder or similar spices
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, optional
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch of kale, finely chopped and massaged
- 10 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups cooked black beans (from about 1 cup dried beans or 2 16-oz canned)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oiled foil.
- Combine sweet potato and onion in a large bowl. Sprinkle with curry powder, turmeric, pepper flakes and salt.
- Toss together with olive oil until evenly coated. Spread potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 – 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- When potatoes are done, transfer to a large bowl and toss them together with kale, sun-dried tomatoes and black beans.
- Serve warm with dressing - just combine all the dressing ingredients together.