A warm butternut squash and lentil salad made with indulgent inclusions like walnuts and apricot, topped with a creamy tahini dressing.
Roasted Squash and Balsamic Lentil Salad [Vegan]
For the Squash:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (around 3cm)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 1/5 cup puy lentils
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 1/3 cup bag wild rocket/spinach
- 1 handful dried apricots, chopped
- 1 handful walnuts, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons cold water (or more if needed)
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- cracked pepper to taste
For the Butternut Squash:
- Preheat oven to 392°F. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the butternut squash chunks on the paper and drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle the salt, pepper and garlic granules. Stir well together with your hands and spread out in a single layer. Cook for 30-40 mins, stirring once half way through. Cook until tender and slightly browned.
For the Salad:
- Before opening the lentil packet, press down on the packet with your fingers to separate the lentils
- Place the roasted squash into a serving bowl and whilst it is still hot add in the lentils, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ,chopped walnuts, chopped apricots and salt/pepper. Stir well by tossing the mixture with your hands to combine.
- Leave the mixture to cool for 10 mins. Add the rocket/spinach and stir it through with your hands.
For the Tahini Dressing:
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl with a fork or a mini hand whisk. Add more water if necessary (should be a creamy yet pourable consistency)
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad with a tablespoon.