I wanted to serve vegetables on quinoa, but it seemed a little plain. So, I topped it with yogurt spiked with horseradish and dill (vegans can use soy yogurt). The piquant taste of the sauce provides a perfect counterbalance to the sweet root vegetables. Nope, this dish is not a stew, but it does have the kind of compelling flavors I love. And it’s pretty enough for a picture, don’t you think? This recipe makes a big batch, but you’ll be glad to have leftovers for lunch. If you want to make it an even heartier main dish, it would be great with some chickpeas mixed into the quinoa.
Roasted Root Vegetables on Quinoa With Yogurt Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Roasted Root Vegetables on Quinoa With Yogurt Sauce [Vegan]
- 9-10 cups peeled, cubed root vegetables (any combination of carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, brussels sprouts or beets)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse or flaky salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (if you can’t find it, make your own)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed well if not the pre-rinsed variety
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup nonfat or soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
How to Prepare Roasted Root Vegetables on Quinoa With Yogurt Sauce [Vegan]
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl or a cup, combine the pomegranate molasses and maple syrup and set aside.
- Mix the vegetables and olive oil in a bowl. Spread on two large cookie sheets, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the vegetables and drizzle with the pomegranate and maple mixture. Roast for 25-30 minutes more, until vegetables and tender and nicely browned.
- Place the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then fluff with a fork and remove to a serving platter.
- Combine the yogurt, dill, horseradish, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Spoon the vegetables over the quinoa, and drizzle with the yogurt-dill sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.