A spicy, protein-packed dip perfect for an appetizer or a spread on your favorite sandwich.
Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 large red peppers
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 – 3 teaspoons harissa paste (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pomegranate seeds to top (optional)
- Turn on the broiler, and put the peppers in the oven on a baking tray.
- Rotate occasionally until fairly dark all over, then remove with tongs to a bowl and cover so they can steam. After 30 minutes you can peel the skins off and remove the seeds, then set aside.
- Rinse the red lentils, then add to a small pot with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil then simmer covered for 12-15 minutes until mushy (if there is extra liquid just continue cooking for a few minutes with the lid off).
- Allow to cool slightly, then blend in the food processor with peppers, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, harissa, and tomato paste. Taste for additional salt and pepper.