In this recipe, grilled eggplant, marinated tomatoes, hummus, and kalamata olives are pressed between two slices of toasted homemade bread—what's not to love? The creamy hummus pairs well with the savory eggplant and balsamic-marinated tomatoes. This is the perfect sandwich to enjoy as you relax over the weekend.
Roasted Eggplant and Marinated Tomato Sandwich [Vegan]
- Slice tomatoes and place in container, pour balsamic vinaigrette over them, and cover. Marinate for 2 hours, or over night.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the eggplant, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, ground pepper, and garlic powder. Cook the eggplant in an oiled pan for 15 minutes, flip. and pour white wine over eggplant evenly. Cook for an additional 15 minutes then remove from oven and set aside.
- Toast the bread. Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on 4 slices of the toast, then top with two slices of roasted eggplant.
- Next, top with 4 slices of marinated tomato, sprinkle additional salt and pepper, add 1/2 cup fresh spinach and top with a few olive slices, if using, and top with remaining slices of bread.
- Slice sandwich into two sections and serve.