Crispy shallots are a great addition to the sweetly glazed beet noodles – they add a saltiness and crispiness to the dish and keep the sweetness of the sparkling cider glaze at bay. The flavors and aromas of the beet really come out when roasted. To make it easier for serving, cut the roasted noodles with a scissor so that each “noodle” is no longer than 6″.
Roasted Beet Noodles With Crispy Shallots [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sparkling apple cider
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp regular dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large beets, peeled, spiralized
- olive oil to drizzle
- 12 large shallots, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a large skillet over high heat and add in the olive oil. Cook the oil until it starts to smoke and lower the heat to medium. Add in the sliced shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes or until shallots brown. Once done, transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients for the glaze into a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a medium simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until it reduces and becomes a glaze. Once it starts foaming, stir the glaze nonstop until it reaches a thick consistency. It's alright if it's liquidy, it will thicken as it cools.
- While the glaze is cooking, add the beet noodles into a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 5-8 minutes or until noodles wilt.
- When beet noodles are done, place them in a serving platter, drizzle with the cider glaze and top with crispy shallots. Enjoy!