These crispy kebabs are made from roasted beets, black beans, cashews, parsley, coconut, and spices. The smoky, char-grilled aroma and melt-in-mouth texture paired with a creamy and vibrant beet dip will easily get you hooked. This is the kind of a dish that you would absolutely love to serve when you have friends over dinner. It just has that "wow" factor.
Roasted Beet Kebabs [Vegan]
For the Beet Dip:
- 1 cup roasted beets, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegan Greek yogurt
For the Kebabs:
- 4 beets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5-6 cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 8-10 cashews
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, cooked
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Oil, for roasting
To Make the Beet Dip:
- Pre-heat oven to 390°F.
- At this step, roast all of the beets, for the dip and for the kebabs. Place the beets in the center of a piece of aluminum foil and wrap around the beets.
- Place the beets in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until you can easily slide a knife in and out of the beets.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle, rub the skins off and wash them under some cold water. Set aside the beets for the kebabs.
- Chop the beets, then add all of the beet dip ingredients into your food processor. Purée until the mixture is smooth.
To Make the Kebabs:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add cloves, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds and sauté for few seconds.
- Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the cooked beans and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add desiccated coconut, garam masala, cumin, and salt. Mix well and cook for few minutes.
- Add parsley and cook for one more minute.
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Grind spiced beets and beans in a food processor.
- Transfer mixture into a mixing bowl and add bread crumbs. Mix well to make a smooth dough.
- Take about 3 tablespoons of the mixture for each kebab. Form six equally-sized balls.
- Slowly spread the mixture on the skewers to make kebabs about 3 1/2 inches long. Press the ends firmly
- Heat a pan or grill. Place kebab skewers on the pan and cook on all sides for 3-4 minutes, or until lightly colored all around.
- Serve hot with beet dip, lemon, and onions.
- Beet Recipes