Here is a meatless barbecue recipe that highlights one of the most robust vegetables to be harvested in spring, rhubarb. It marries well with spices and soy sauce to make a suitably tangy marinade.
Rhubarb-Marinated Tofu Steaks [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 1 pounds firm tofu
For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large rhubarb stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cut your tofu into 8 chunky slices, about 5/8 inch thick. Set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a skillet, add the onion, and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the rhubarb along with the rest of the marinade ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. After the rhubarb has softened, let the mixture cool slightly, then blend to the consistency of a sauce and cool.
- Coat the tofu steaks with the sauce and marinate for at least 30 minutes. The longer the marinating time, the more flavor soaks into the steaks.
- Gently warm the steaks in the marinade until heated through.
- Alternatively, heat a heavy skillet or a cast-iron griddle pan and grill the steaks for a minute or two on each side, gently warm the remaining sauce, and pour it over the steaks.