This sweet bread is moist and hearty with the perfect hint of fennel. It will fill you up like a perfect snack should, or is a delight for breakfast. The topping is kind of like a streusel, but healthier for you and just a little bit tart from the rhubarb and sweet from the cinnamon and pecans. Not to mention that between the oats, buckwheat, and rhubarb, not only is the bread gluten-free, but it’s a great source of fiber.
Rhubarb Fennel Bread With Pecans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Bread:
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Topping:
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Begin with the topping, by combining the rhubarb, pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Stir to coat the rhubarb and pecans in the cinnamon and syrup and then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the oat flour, oats, buckwheat flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and ground fennel in large bowl. Stir until incorporated.
- Add the maple syrup, molasses, coconut milk, banana, and vanilla to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the rhubarb topping over the bread, spreading evenly and gently pressing into the batter.
- Place the loaf in the preheated oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until stick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and cool on a rack. Slice and enjoy.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the cupboard or refrigerator for up to 3 days.