This tart is great because it’s actually very elegant and that kind of rubs off on you! But also because it tastes divine. The rhubarb is arranged like a rose, with thin strips of rhubarb arranged delicately inside the buckwheat crust, and the tartness of the rhubarb works so well with the sweetness of the marmalade. The rose will not be pink, as the inside of the rhubarb stalks is not pink. However, if you do want a pink rose, you could marinate the rhubarb strips in grenadine syrup.
Rhubarb and Orange Rose Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 5 stalks of rhubarb
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 5 teaspoons of marmalade (preferably homemade)
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of half an orange
- Start by creating the strips of rhubarb. You can use a mandolin slicer, or just a vegetable peeler.
- Add these to a bowl with the orange zest and the maple syrup. Coat the strips.
- Then make the crust. In a food processor, blitz together the buckwheat flour, the water and the oil. This should make “bread crumbs”. Then add the orange juice bit by bit until the dough is formed. You may not need all the juice. If you do use a little too much juice and the dough becomes sticky, just add in a little more flour until the consistency is right – soft and smooth.
- Grease and line a circular tin (a flan or tart dish would be your best bet, but if you’re like me and only had a cake tin to hand, use that!)
- Use a little more flour to dust the work surface, and then roll out the dough until it’s thin enough to cover the base of your tin, plus the sides.
- Place the dough inside the tin and cover the base with marmalade.
- Then begin to arrange the rhubarb strips. Wind one strip around your finger to create a tight loop for the center of your “rose”. Then arrange each strip around the center, until the entire base is covered.
- Fold in the crust edges and lightly crimp around the outside with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the rhubarb is soft. Serve with whatever you like, such as vegan ice cream or coconut whipped cream.