Whether you choose to make these for a savory breakfast dish or a light dinner, you’ll love the way the spices in the tofu mingle with the sauerkraut to create this very satisfying open-faced sandwich.
Reuben Scramble ’Wiches [Vegan]
For the Scramble:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) high-heat neutral-flavored oil
- 1 pound (454 g) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed, then crumbled
- 1/2 cup (72 g) chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1/3 cup (53 g) chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) nutritional yeast
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups (178 g) sauerkraut, drained but not squeezed (some juice reserved)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) reserved sauerkraut juice
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) vegetable broth, or water
- 1 tablespoon (16 g) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, or to taste
- Salt and pepper
For the 'Wiches:
- 4 slices of rye bread, toasted
- Dijon mustard
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 3 dill pickles, sliced thinly
For the Scramble:
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the crumbled tofu, reduce the heat to medium, and let cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Add the additional tablespoon (15 ml) of oil if the tofu is sticking. Cook until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add the bell pepper and onion, and cook until the onions soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the spices, nutritional yeast, cherry tomatoes, capers, garlic, and sauerkraut. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Whisk together the sauerkraut juice, broth or water, tomato paste, and liquid smoke in a small bowl. Pour into the tofu and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The liquid should be absorbed by the tofu. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To Assemble the 'Wiches:
- Spread each slice of toast with a thin layer of mustard. Divide the spinach evenly on the toast, and then layer with the dill pickles.
- Divide the tofu mixture evenly over top and serve immediately.