If you been dying for vegan red velvet but don't like beets, this is your recipe. These brownies use dragon fruit for the red coloring and are moist, balanced, and delicious with some great chocolate icing to finish them off.
Red Velvet Brownies With Three-Ingredient Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Brownies:
- 1 1/4 cups Medjool dates, pitted and packed
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 2 packets frozen dragon fruit, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
For the Frosting:
- 1/3 cup Medjool dates, pitted and packed
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup frozen pitaya, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Blend the dates, almond milk, pitaya, chia seeds, sweet potato, vanilla, and apple cider on high until they're smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift together the oat flour, cacao powder, and baking soda. Add in the wet ingredients, and stir until smooth and uniform.
- Spread batter evenly into the pan, and bake for 45-50 mins. In the meantime, make the frosting.
- Blend all the frosting ingredients together and then heat them, when you are ready to top your brownies with it.
- Remove the brownies from oven and cool them completely, then add frosting.
- Once frosted, cut the brownies into squares and top with toppings of choice, such as raspberries and hemp hearts.