Tarte Tatin is a French pastry that is traditionally made using apples. The red onions atop the crust in this recipe transform this dessert into a savory dish, worthy of any dinner party.
Red Onion Tarte Tatin [Vegan]
- 1 cup of bread flour or regular wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- A few sprig of fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/5 cup olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5-6 red onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- A few sprig of fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Stir the water and oil together and combine with dry mix. Mix the dough until smooth and form it into a ball. Wrap it in foil and let sit in the refrigerator to chill.
- Peel the red onions and cut into wedges. Coat a cast iron skillet with oil, so that the pan bottom is covered with a thin layer, and heat over medium-high heat. Put half the red onion in the pan and sprinkle them with pinch of salt and pepper. Fry over low heat for a few minutes and then set aside. Add more oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining onions.
- Return all of the onions to the pan and arrange them in an even layer. Mix the sugar and balsamic vinegar, then pour the mixture over the onions. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a sheet, then cut it into a circle. Lift up the sheet of dough and place it on top of the onions. Press edges of dough against the bottom of the pan so that the bulbs are completely immersed. Use a fork to poke a few holes into the dough and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the pie sit for a few minutes after baking. Place the frying pan on a large plate and quickly turn it over.