This hearty recipe will yield the perfect dish to keep you warm on a cool night. The fennel and celery give this soup a light freshness that most lentil soups don't usually have. Not only is this soup filling, it's elegant and bursting with flavor.
Red Lentil Soup With Leek, Fennel, and Celery Heart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, just the inner leaves cut into small pieces
- 1 celery heart (inner stalks), cut into small pieces
- 4 cups broth or water
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper, as desired
- Fresh cilantro (garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the leek, fennel, and celery and sauté until they're soft. This should take around 10-12 minutes.
- Add the broth or water and lentils, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and stir it in then, remove the pot from the heat. To serve, sprinkle it with a pinch of sea salt and pepper and garnish it with fresh cilantro.