A delicious & healthy Thai inspired meal and is totally satisfying and hearty without being heavy. The coconut milk creates a creamy essence and Red Curry Paste lends deep flavor, color and heat. This dish makes a perfect lunch or dinner to enjoy throughout the week!
Red Coconut Curry with Sesame Tofu and Roasted Vegetables [Vegan]
4 -6 servings
For the Vegetables:
- 6 cups assorted vegetables:
- 1 medium zucchini,
- 1/2 large yellow pepper,
- 1/2 large red pepper,
- 10 spears fat asparagus,
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 large shallot
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or neutral oil* for roasting
- Option: 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts – to add to cooked sauce; do not roast
For the Sesame Tofu:
- 1 block firm tofu (organic) 16 ounces
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil, or neutral oil*
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the Red Curry Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Red Curry Paste
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon pure cane sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk, 13.5 ounces, not “lite”
- squeeze fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves or mint leaves
Make the Sesame Tofu:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the tofu block in half lengthwise. Add paper towers to a cutting board, add the 2 pieces of tofu; top with paper towels and cover with a weight, such as a heavy pan for about 15 minutes to press it.
- Cut tofu into even 1″ cubes. Place them in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the melted coconut oil or neutral oil and give a gentle toss to coat.
- Add sesame seeds, garlic powder and salt. Stir gently to coat. Add the cornstarch, stir gently to coat.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, or until a touch golden. Set aside.
To Roast the Vegetables:
- Cut the vegetables you choose into even sized pieces (see Blog for photos.)
- Place them on a rimmed sheet pan, add the oil and combine. Sprinkle with a little salt & pepper. (Hint: add veggie varieties in the same area of the pan in case some roast more quickly – you can remove them.)
- Roast the veggies for about 15 minutes, or until golden around the edges – turning them once.
- Set aside.
- Add the coconut or neutral oil to a large skillet or wok. Raise heat to low.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add 2 tablespoons Red Curry Paste (this is a bit spicy, cut down here if you desire), the sugar and vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cook 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer the sauce until reduced and thickened, about 20 minutes. Add sliced water chestnuts if using.
- Add a splash of lime juice, taste the sauce for salt.
- To individual bowls, add a good portion of sauce, add a serving of vegetables – top with sesame tofu.
- Garnish with mint or basil leaves
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed.” Note: Red curry paste is a cook’s lifesaving ingredient – two tablespoons transforms this fragrant sauce.