Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Need a quick, easy whole foods-based dish that's delicious and packed with protein? Try this red cabbage and zucchini chana dal. It's spicy and hot, with complex layers of flavors from spice blends, dry chilis, and fresh herbs. This dish uses chana dal, dried brown chickpeas that have been split. They're similar to lentils in taste, but when cooked, they always retain their shape rather than becoming mushy. Serve it with rice or your favorite flatbread.
Red Cabbage and Zucchini Chana Dal [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Red Cabbage and Zucchini Chana Dal [Vegan]
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini, roughly chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chana dal (dry split chickpeas)
- 3 tablespoons oil or water as needed
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 dried red chilis
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
- A pinch of asafetida, garlic powder, or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchoor)
- Salt, to taste
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
How to Prepare Red Cabbage and Zucchini Chana Dal [Vegan]
- Wash and soak chana dal in enough water for about 45 minutes. Drain water.
- Add dal to a pressure cooker along with salt, turmeric powder, and 1/2 cup of water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 4-5 whistles. Remove from heat, and let the pressure the cooker cool down.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat. When oil is hot enough, add asafetida, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds. Add dried red chilis and let the seeds crackle.
- Add chopped onions and chopped garlic and until they become translucent.
- Add chopped red cabbage and mix well. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add zucchini and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, pav bhaji masala, red chili powder, dried mango powder, red chili powder, garam masala, and mix well. Add some more salt if needed. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked dal and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the curry becomes thick. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or bread.