This warm pigeon pea soup is packed with flavor and filling ingredients — and it doesn't take all day to make! Protein-rich pigeon peas are cooked with a blend of tempered Indian spices, tender opo squash, and savory broth. This soup can be served with some crusty bread or poppy seed rolls, or as a side in an Indian meal with flatbread, pickles, and vegetables. You can substitute pigeon peas with other split lentils or grams and the squash with other mild-flavored quick cooking squash.
Pigeon Pea Soup with Opo Squash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pigeon Pea Soup with Opo Squash [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 3/4 cup split Toor daal(split and skinless pigeon pea. Can be substituted with Chana daal/bengal gram or Mung daal(skinless green gram))
- 2 cups opo squash/lauki cubed (found in indian stores or asian supermarkets, can be substituted with a different mild flavored squash)
- 2.5-3 cups water
For the Tempering:
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds(Raee)
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds(Kalonji seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds(Jeera)
- pinch of asofetida (hing, optional)
- 5 curry leaves (you can find these fresh or frozen in any Indian store. If you dont have these, substitute with one bay leaf.)
- 1/2 Serrano chili pepper or chili flakes to taste
- 4-5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon raw sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
How to Prepare Pigeon Pea Soup with Opo Squash [Vegan]
- Soak the lentils in warm water for an hour to overnight.
- In a pressure cooker or pan, heat the oil on medium heat until hot on medium low heat.
- Add mustard(raee) seeds and after a few seconds of sputtering, add cumin(jeera) and nigella(Kalonji) seeds. Use a little garam masala or curry powder if you dont have all the spices.
- Add in the asofetida(hing) and curry leaves and mix.
- Add in the chili, turmeric, ginger and garlic and cook till garlic is golden brown.(1-2 minutes).
- Add in squash and rinsed soaked daal(pigeon pea), water, salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar. You can also add in 1 medium tomato chopped.
- Mix well. Cook for 2 full whistles in the pressure cooker or Cook covered in pan for 30-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. If cooking in pan, the lentils might not get mashed, you can mash them in the pot or blend a little. Taste and adjust salt and spices when still hot.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro, chili flakes or cayenne, olive oil drizzle and lime wedges.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - All
- Beans - Green
- Beans - Mung
- Black Eye / Pigeon Pea
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 156 | Carbs: 21 g | Fat: 2 g | Protein: 14 g | Sodium: 6 mg | Sugar: 0 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.