Vegan Grasshopper Pies are a varied lot. Refrigerated, frozen, made from mint ice cream...made from spinach(!), they cover the gamut. But I set out to make one like I remember from my vegetarian days: a chiffon-style icebox pie that slices neatly, but is definitely not rubbery. It is not easy to achieve that chiffon-y texture sans eggs, so my version is a little more firm, but you will love it. Unless you eschew alcohol, that is. The Grasshopper Pie I knew and loved was made with Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao—no worries: neither contains cream!—and so it goes with my vegan version. If you want to forgo the calories in the crust, simply spoon the filling into parfait glasses, top with Chocolate Ganache, and garnish as desired.
Grasshopper Pie [Vegan]
For the Minty Oreo Crumb Crust:
- 2 cups mint-flavored sandwich cookies
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegan butter, melted (start with 3 and add the 4th if necessary)
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, barely covered with water, soaked for 4 hours, and drained
- 4 tablespoons agar flakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened or plain soymilk
- 7 to 8 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed and blotted between paper towels (tofu is typically sold in 14 to 16 ounce blocks, so use half a block)
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup green Crème de Menthe
- 1/4 cup clear Crème de Cacao
- Chocolate Ganache (recipe follows)
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup soy creamer (plain or vanilla)
To Make the Minty Oreo Crumb Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place crumbs in a medium size bowl, drizzle with melted butter, and combine well using a fork.
- Press crumbs evenly onto bottom and up sides of an 8-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile make filling.
To Make the Filling:
- Garnishes: vegan whipped topping or sweetened vegan sour cream, halved Mint-Flavored Oreos (use a serrated knife), additional vegan chocolate chips, optional mint leaves
- In a one-quart saucepan, combine agar flakes and soymilk.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, lower to medium, and cook, whisking frequently, for 5.
- Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add tofu, vegan cream cheese, sugar, and extracts.
- Pulse a few times until the mixture starts to come together.
- Add both liqueurs, and process until very smooth; this may take 5 to 8 minutes.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Spoon filling into cooled crust, smooth top, and chill until set (which won't take long thanks to the agar).
- Spread a circle of Chocolate Ganache in the center top of the pie leaving a green border.
- Garnish as desired, piping on the vegan whipped topping or sweetened vegan sour cream for a more formal touch.
To Make the Chocolate Ganache:
- In the top of a double boiler or in a one-quart saucepan set over another pan of water, combine vegan chocolate chips and soy creamer.
- Heat over medium high until chocolate chips are almost melted.
- Remove from heat, whisk the mixture until chips are melted, and cool to room temperature.
- You may refrigerate to speed the process, but watch closely so that the Ganache doesn't harden.
You need to soak the cashews for the filling for four hours before you make the pie.