There are lots of different spices used in different parts of India. Each region has its own cuisine, spices and spice blends. My spice rack is full of individual whole and ground spices. If you dont cook Indian food too often, then instead of investing in a bunch of individual spices, you can get small quantities of fresh spice blends, like Garam Masala, Pav bhaji Masala, Panch Phoron and more. One such spice blend which is a staple at our house, is the Kashmiri Garam Masala. It contains Black cumin, Cassia, Coriander, Cardamom, Clove and Tellicherry Black Pepper and is very different from the usual Garam Masala or curry powder. This blend goes very well with greens in stews, stir fries or soups. This soup has the Kashmiri Garam Masala blend, tomato and some cream from the cashews. The soup gets ready in 15 minutes with just one boil. You can also serve it raw. You can make this soup with other greens too like Collard, Mustard, Chard or a combination of these. Mustard and spinach or Collard and spinach work well together.
Creamy Spinach Soup [Vegan]
- 3-4 packed cups of fresh Spinach, washed chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 green chili or chili flakes to taste
- 2/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon raw sugar(optional)
- 1/4 cup raw cashew (soaked for an hour or powdered)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Add to blender the spinach, tomato, garlic, salt, chili, sugar and cashew.
- Blend all with 1/2+ cup water till well pureed.
- In a pan, add a teaspoon of coconut oil, heat on medium. Add 1/2 teaspoon of Garam masala and mix well for a minute till you can smell the aroma of the spices.
- Add spinach puree and cook on medium heat till it comes to a boil 5-7 minutes. Mix, taste, adjust salt/spices and take off heat.
- Serve hot topped with paprika, chopped almond or cashew, with crackers, biscuits or garlic dinner rolls!