This is going to sound so weird but I had daydreams about this meal for about 2 days before actually making it. I knew it was going to be avocados and chickpeas, for sure, since I had just received some of the most gorgeous avocados from my CSA, but what form would it take? Did I want it to just be a salad? No, it needed to be a little heartier, but still light. Sandwiches? No, not in the mood. Wraps? No, we’ve been doing those a lot recently. By the end of the first day of daydreams, I had settled on tacos. They seemed like the perfect, light, crisp vessel to transport this salad to my mouth. These tacos were better than I had imagined they would be. The light, crisp corn tacos provided the perfect balance to the rich, savory, lime-infused, mashed chickpeas and avocado. They were so good, I continued to daydream about them the next day and had to make another batch for dinner that night. And the next night. These tacos are now in our weekly rotation.
Cilantro Avocado Chickpea Salad Tacos [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cilantro Avocado Chickpea Salad Tacos [Vegan]
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ T lime juice
- 2 T liquid aminos
- ½ tsp olive oil
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 corn tortillas
How to Prepare Cilantro Avocado Chickpea Salad Tacos [Vegan]
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the liquid aminos and cook until liquid is dissolved, stirring frequently. If it starts to stick, lower the heat.
- When the chickpeas are done, they should be a darker brown, with a slightly toasted exterior. Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- In the pan, use a fork to lightly mash the chickpeas. It should be mashed, with chunks of beans throughout.
- The mashed avocado should be in a medium/large bowl.
- Add the mashed chickpeas and the remaining ingredients, minus the salt and pepper.
- Mix until thoroughly combined. Taste and then add salt and pepper if you desire (I don’t add any at all). You can make this a day in advance to save on prep time later. Just refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Prepare your tacos shells. Spoon the avocado chickpea salad into the taco shells. Garnish with tomato, cilantro, green onion, or just salsa, and serve at room-temp. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.