It's the holidays — which means egg nog flavored EVERYTHING! This holiday nog has a few little non-traditional secrets... like pears and rum! Who thought that this would be such a decedent combination!
Holiday Nog [Vegan]
- 1/4 ripe pear, cored (no need to peel)
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened plain or vanilla rice, almond or soymilk*
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lucuma powder (optional, but highly recommended)
- 2 heaping Tbsp (35-40 ml) raw cashews
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chia seeds**
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) rum flavoring (optional)
- 8-12 drops plain or vanilla stevia liquid, to your taste up to one ounce (30 ml) bourbon or rum, if desired/permitted
- Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender** and blend until perfectly smooth.
- Refrigerate until ice cold, at least an hour (this will also help it to thicken up considerably).
- To serve, whisk once more and top with a sprinkling of cinnamon; serve immediately.
If you use soymilk, the recipe is, obviously, no longer soy-free. If you don't have a high-powered blender, grind the seeds to a fine powder first, in a coffee grinder.
- Nut-based Milk