You can create anything with the right ingredients and spices — even kofta! These kofta are entirely raw and seasoned beautifully with a range of spices. Served with the raw minted cashew yoghurt and a little red kraut, this recipe is so simple to make, but does require time in the dehydrator.
Raw Walnut Kofta With Cashew Yogurt [Vegan]
For the Kofta:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup soaked and sprouted buckwheat
- 1/2 cup organic, sun-dried tomatoes (no added oil/spices)
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons miso paste, darker the better
- 2 teaspoons nama shoyu or tamari
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary, dried
- 1 heaped tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- A very scant 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Mint Cashew Yogurt:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 5 tablespoons water
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 pinches coarse sea salt
- 6 good-sized fresh mint leaves
- Fermented red cabbage/beets, pistachio, and fresh herbs
- Radicchio leaves, to serve in
To Make the Kofta:
- A few hours before you are ready to start making the kofta (2-4 hours), soak the walnuts, sunflower seeds, sun-dried tomatoes, and dates in water to soften them.
- If you haven’t the time to properly soak and sprout buckwheat (this can be a three-day process), then prepare them the same way you would the nuts and seeds, however, soaking and sprouting will give a much softer texture.
- After the soaking time is over, rinse and drain nuts, seeds, dates, and buckwheat. Place in a food processor. Only add half the sun-dried tomatoes at this point – blending the rest in last gives a great texture.
- Add all other ingredients and blend until well-combined, almost like a paste.
- Add the remainder sun-dried tomatoes for a final blend.
- Roll into small little logs, about a tablespoon of mixture each. Insert bamboo skewers if you have them.
- Place on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate for two hours at a slightly higher temp (135°F) then turn down to 115°F for another six hours.
- Serve each kofta inside a radicchio leaf, with the raw minted cashew yogurt and cabbage/beet ferment, crushed pistachios, and fresh herbs.
To Make the Yogurt:
- Soak the cashews in ample water for a few hours (2-5 hours), then drain and rinse.
- Add cashews and all other ingredients (including those 5 tablespoons of water) to a blender, pulse until creamy.
- Serve with koftas and keep in the refrigerator.