My favorite snack of all time has always been peanut butter with apple slices, but I’ve grown bored of this typical snack. Not only that, but I’ve been trying to cut back on my peanut butter addiction because it’s gotten out of control. I’ve also been eyeing all the caramel apples in the grocery stores that I can’t eat. So, it was time to come up with my own new low-fat snack and vegan version of a caramel apple; it’s a total win.
Raw Caramel Apple Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 15-20 soft, gooey medjool dates (soak in water for 20 minutes if they are not soft)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips, optional
- In a food processor, blend the gooey dates until they are finely chopped. Add the water and blend until it turns into a date "paste".
- Slice your apple into circular slices and slather on the date "paste".
- Top with raisins, coconut and chocolate chips.
Omit the chocolate chips if you are a raw vegan. Other topping options: pecans, almonds, walnuts, gogi berries, cinnamon.