These raw sushi rolls are beautiful, colorful, and most importantly, delicious! Sweet, succulent jicama is chopped into rice-like pieces, and then together with Shiitake mushrooms, cucumbers, avocado, and red cabbage, rolled into nori sheets. Try these for a light and refreshing twist on sushi!
Raw Sushi Rolls With Shiitake Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 3 nori papers
- 2 cucumbers, julienned
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/8 red cabbage, sliced
- sunflower sprouts
- Place the jicama in a blender and pulse until there are small pieces about the size of rice.
- Place your jicama rice in a nut bag and strain out all the excess water.
- Place the jicama in a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Combine mushrooms and tamari in a bowl and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo mat with the shiny side down. Spread a thin layer of jicama "rice" over the bottom half of the sheet.
- Assemble filling ingredients in the roll. Use the rolling mat to get a nice tight roll.
- Seal the nori with the liquid sauce from your mushrooms.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the roll into 8 pieces. Repeat 2 times.
The jicama juice that you squeeze out of your “rice” is very mild and sweet. So tasty! You can drink this juice by itself or add it to your juices.