This raw strawberry rhubarb layered cake is sweet, tart, rich, crispy, and creamy, totally dreamy. The base is a decadently delicous buckwheat crispy crust that is chewy and sweet with just a touch of vanilla and then it's topped with two layers of a luxurious cashew cream and fresh rhubarb and strawberries that have been tossed in lemon juice. It's the fanciest rice crispy treat you'll ever taste.
Raw Strawberry Rhubarb Crispy Cream Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Buckwheat Treat Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups buckwheat, soaked, optionally sprouted, and dried
- 1/4 cup sunflower butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/8 cup coconut nectar
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon extract
For the Topping:
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
To Make the Crust:
- Soak buckwheat for at least 2 hours, about 6 hours if you're sprouting it.
- Rinse and drain it in a strainer. To sprout the buckwheat, continue to rinse and drain it twice a day until you see little tails, should take about 24 hours.
- Dehydrate buckwheat for 4-12 hours or until it's dry in the dehydrator at 115°F.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix them well.
- Spread this mixture over the base of a 9-inch springform pan.
For the Rest:
- Slice fruit thinly and mix it well with lemon juice to preserve it.
- Blend the cashews until they become a fine flour.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except the last 3 ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Spread out half the cashew cream on top of the buckwheat crust.
- Spread out half the fruit on top of the cashew cream.
- Repeat this process again.
- Freeze the tart for 1 1/2 hours, or until it's firm.
- Refrigerate for the remainder of the tart's life.