These pistachio date caramel squarea are gluten-free, raw, and only naturally-sweetened. Also, they’re delicious. The pistachio-date center is enrobed in a silky chocolate coating and topped with more pistachios. These could also work well with your favorite kind of nut. Not only are these babies super good for you, but they take very little effort to make. You need just eight ingredients total (that’s including water!) and no oven! Plus, the recipe is very easy to double or even triple (which you’re going to want to do).
Raw Pistachio Date Caramel Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Date Caramel:
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons raw shelled pistachios
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Coating:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons crushed raw shelled pistachios, for topping
- In a food processor, combine dates, warm water, 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons pistachios, sea salt, and vanilla until a paste forms.
- Transfer paste to a foil-lined small 4x4-inch dish. Spread evenly, cover, and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combined cacao powder, liquid coconut oil, and maple syrup in a medium bowl with a whisk until homogenous.
- Remove pan from freezer and cut into squares. Dip each date square into the chocolate coating and sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Place each square on a lined baking sheet and return to freezer for 15 minutes. Store in refrigerator.