These yummy raw vegan crackers are on the sweet side and include some standard granola bar ingredients. Eat them straight up or make a sandwich using homemade coconut milk ice cream.
Raw Granola Bar Crackers [Vegan]
1 dehydrated sheet
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped into small chunks
- 1″ nubbin fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, soaked in warm water for an hour or so and drained
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao nibs
- generous pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- dash cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (taste dough and add more if preferred)
- Put the flaxseed meal, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, cacao nibs and orange zest in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process the walnuts, ginger and apple until you get a nice mash.
- Add this mixture to the flaxseed meal mixture and add the remaining (wet) ingredients.
- Using a big spoon or your hands, mix until thoroughly combined. This is a fairly wet mess.
- Line a dehydrator tray with a non-stick sheet and plop the dough into the center, top with another non-stick sheet and slowly roll out the dough. I had to move dough from time to time from one spot to another to get something that resembled a square. The dough should be about 1/4″ thick.
- Remove that top non-stick sheet, gently score the dough into whatever size and shape strike your fancy and slide the tray with the dough into the dehydrator.
- Dehydrate at 145F for 30 minutes, then turn down the temperature to 115F.
- After a few hours of drying, I carefully transfer the dough to a screen for more efficient drying.
- Dehydrate for about 24 hours or until crispy and crunchy.
- Break into pieces and store in an air-tight container.