Celebrate summertime with these delectable cookie dough ice cream sandwiches. The smooth almond butter banana ice cream sandwiched between two chewy cookies will take you back to the cold treats you enjoyed in your childhood. Who would’ve thought you could make such incredible ice cream with just frozen bananas and a food processor?
Raw Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cookies:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large pinches of ground vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- Water, as needed
For the Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream:
- 4 large ripe frozen bananas
- 3-4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 large pinches of ground vanilla (optional)
- 1 tablespoon almonds, roughly chopped for garnish (optional)
To Make the Cookies:
- Melt the coconut oil over low heat.
- Put the cashews and rolled oats in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until finely ground.
- Add the pitted dates. Process until finely chopped.
- Add the melted coconut oil, sea salt, ground vanilla, and a little water. Process into a thick dough. The drier the dates, the more water you will need. You’ll know the dough is ready when it comes together into a ball.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Cover it with a second sheet of parchment paper and roll the dough out using a rolling pin until it’s about 1/2-inch thick.
- Peel the top sheet of parchment off the dough and, using a round cookie cutter, cut out a batch of cookies. Gather the remaining scraps of dough into a ball, re-roll, and continue cutting out more cookies until all the dough has been used. Put the cookies on a plate lined with parchment paper and leave to harden in the freezer for fifteen minutes.
To Make the Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream
- Cut the frozen bananas into smaller pieces with a sturdy knife.
- Put the frozen banana chunks, almond milk, almond butter, and ground vanilla in a food processor fitted with an "S"-blade. Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- Lastly, add the almonds. Use the pulse button on the food processor to finely chop the nuts and evenly distribute them throughout the ice cream. By using the pulse button, the nuts will retain their crunchy texture.
- Put it in the freezer to chill for about fifteen minutes.
- Take the cookies from the freezer. Take a cookie, top it with a generous helping of banana ice cream, stack another cookie on top of the ice cream, and gently press to adhere. Roll the edges of the ice cream sandwiches in chopped almonds, if desired.
- Serve immediately or place in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
Raw Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches from Vegan & Raw 2 by Julie Van den Kerchove. Photo by Heikki Verdurme.