In this recipe, layers of raspberry and coconut come together with a dark chocolate drizzle to create a dessert that's simply decadent. The bottom layer is a mix of creamed coconut, coconut oil, maple syrup, and desiccated coconut which creates a nice solid texture once set. The top layer has raspberries mixed in to create a contrasting color and flavor. The raspberries also give it a nice, sharp, and zesty taste, that's not too overpowering. Finally, it’s all topped with dark chocolate and rose petals, just perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Raw Coconut and Raspberry Bars [Vegan]
For the Coconut Layer:
- 1 cup creamed coconut/coconut butter
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- A pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
For the Raspberry Layer:
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
For the Assembly:
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1.76 ounces dark chocolate
- Dried rose petals, for garnish
- Line about 7-inch square dish with parchment paper.
To Make the Raspberry Layer:
- Place raspberries into a small pot with the lemon juice and maple syrup and simmer for about 5 minutes, until soft and mushy. Leave to cool down.
To Make the Coconut Layer:
- In a different, pot gently melt creamed coconut with coconut oil, stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Place the desiccated coconut into a bowl, pour the coconut mixture over, and mix well. Spoon 2/3 of a mixture into prepared dish and press down.
- Add raspberry mix to the remaining 1/4 of a mixture together with the desiccated coconut for assembly, and mix well. Spoon on top of the white layer and smooth down.
- Place into a fridge for about an hour or freezer for about 30 minutes to set.
- In the meantime, gently melt chocolate in a double boiler and leave to cool.
- Once set remove from the fridge and with a sharp knife cut into 16 squares. Drizzle with melted chocolate all over and sprinkle with rose petals.
- Store in a fridge.